Harvard Business School Professor, Francesca Gino is author of Rebel Talent. She expands on why rebels aren’t a negative force, how to manage them, and how to utilize them to boost your company’s inventive spirit. And if you’re a bit of a rebel, how you can impact others in a positive way.
Jump to topic
Show Notes and Resources
Coming to check my work? Good for you! Here’s what I got! Please let me know if I left anything out or click “Contact” in the menu button below to buzz my phone.
6 rules to change hearts re. George Floyd & protests. (Starts 01:16)
The George Floyd murder, the riots, the protests, and race in this country will be a workplace topic as everyone comes back to work. Here are my 6 rules to change hearts and minds and communicate properly.
- Don’t try to trap people.
- Assume pure intentions.
- Don’t shame.
- If you don’t know something, say “I don’t know”
- Don’t put additional roadblocks for others to understand.
- Most importantly, THANK people for hearing you out and listening.
Francesca Gino on Rebel Talent (Starts at 08:33)
Harvard Business School professor and author of Rebel Talent, Francesca Gino joined me to discuss the impact rebels have on the workplace.
- How are rebels supposed to convince anyone to work with them when they look like chaos agents?
- Most see rebels as not trusting of others, power-hungry, and lone wolves. But is that reality?
- Is there any hope for rebels and top performers to get through HR or get hired?
- Speaking as a rebel, do rebels walk a really lonely work path?
- Do rebels naturally disrupt the organizational pecking order, and does that make leaders uncomfortable?
Learn more about Francesca Gino and Rebel Talent
- Buy Rebel Talent
- Read more about Francesca Gino at her official website.
- Take the Rebel Test
- Here’s the piece Francesca helped me on in The Washington Post
- (And here’s the non-paywall version titled The Nazareth Factor.)
Employees don’t like “Covid” tracking at work (Starts at 40:46)
- Here’s the Business Insider article on the employee tracking company, Density.
- NYT says 1/3 of Covid deaths are from nursing homes
- Check out Fishbowl’s survey on if employees are ok with additional tracking at work.
SpaceX, and Elon Musk proved EVERYONE wrong. (Starts at 49:15)
- Watch the SpaceX Dragon replay video here
- Elon Musk responds to critic’s mockery, like Neil Armstrong, and Eugene Sernon
Overworked from Covid? Ask for time off. (Starts at 54:56)
- Here’s the piece from Jordana Valencia in HBR.