Harvard Business School Professor, Francesca Gino is author of Rebel Talent. She expands on why rebels aren’t a negative force, how to manage them, and how to utilize them to boost your company’s inventive spirit. And if you’re a bit of a rebel, how you can impact others in a positive way.
Hit the yellow play button up top to start listening!
Other shows topics:
01:16 – 6 rules to change hearts by communicating about the George Floyd killing, riots, and vandalism.
08:33 – Francesca Gino on REBEL TALENT
40:46 – Survey data shows tech employees are least likely to agree to additional “Covid” tracking at work
49:15 – SpaceX, NASA, and Elon Musk proved EVERYONE wrong.
54:56 – Lots of us are overworking from home. Here’s how to strategically ask for (and get) time off.
Subscribe to The Justin Brady Show
Show Notes and Resources
Coming to check my work? Good for you! Here’s what I got! Please let me know if I left anything out or click “Contact” in the menu button below to buzz my phone.
6 rules to change hearts re. George Floyd & protests. (Starts 01:16)
The George Floyd murder, the riots, the protests, and race in this country will be a workplace topic as everyone comes back to work. Here are my 6 rules to change hearts and minds and communicate properly.
- Don’t try to trap people.
- Assume pure intentions.
- Don’t shame.
- If you don’t know something, say “I don’t know”
- Don’t put additional roadblocks for others to understand.
- Most importantly, THANK people for hearing you out and listening.
Francesca Gino on Rebel Talent (Starts at 08:33)
Harvard Business School professor and author of Rebel Talent, Francesca Gino joined me to discuss the impact rebels have on the workplace.
- How are rebels supposed to convince anyone to work with them when they look like chaos agents?
- Most see rebels as not trusting of others, power-hungry, and lone wolves. But is that reality?
- Is there any hope for rebels and top performers to get through HR or get hired?
- Speaking as a rebel, do rebels walk a really lonely work path?
- Do rebels naturally disrupt the organizational pecking order, and does that make leaders uncomfortable?
Learn more about Francesca Gino and Rebel Talent
- Buy Rebel Talent
- Read more about Francesca Gino at her official website.
- Take the Rebel Test
- Here’s the piece Francesca helped me on in The Washington Post
- (And here’s the non-paywall version titled The Nazareth Factor.)
Employees don’t like “Covid” tracking at work (Starts at 40:46)
- Here’s the Business Insider article on the employee tracking company, Density.
- NYT says 1/3 of Covid deaths are from nursing homes
- Check out Fishbowl’s survey on if employees are ok with additional tracking at work.
SpaceX, and Elon Musk proved EVERYONE wrong. (Starts at 49:15)
- Watch the SpaceX Dragon replay video here
- Elon Musk responds to critic’s mockery, like Neil Armstrong, and Eugene Sernon
Overworked from Covid? Ask for time off. (Starts at 54:56)
- Here’s the piece from Jordana Valencia in HBR.