MIT Professor and Stanford Grad, Rizwan Virk was CEO of a startup that created Tap Fish, now downloaded over 50 million times. He gives us some amazing startup advice and busts all the lame-sauce myths you’ve heard over and over. Plus, Justin discusses the Covid-19 blame game, bailing out retail, the fast economic recovery and folks missing the office.
Auto-Play A Segment
Show Notes and Resources
Checking my work eh? Below is my full list of supporting links and show notes.
Covid-19 has halted many gross sharing practices
- Sample trays at Grocery stores. Gone. YAY
- Open antipasti and salad bars. Gone. YAY
- Public soup bowls. Gone. YAY
- Disinfecting planes. Uh… duh?
- Here’s the CNBC article about disinfecting planes
- Sitting on each other’s laps in communal seating? Done. YAY
- Washing our hands? Finally.
Rizwan Virk, author of Startup Myths and Models
I’ve got to say, Riz really packs this interview full of great content, but we don’t even cover a fraction of what he explains in his book. You should probably pick it up if you’re involved in your own startup.
- Different founders have very different motivation. Not everyone is motivated by money, a problem, or fame.
- Are partners bad? Or good? How many should we have? Do VCs like multiple partners? Why?
- How valuable is experience? Or should we look for cultural fits?
- Des passion matter? How many succcesful founders were actually passionate about their startup?
- Should we really relentlessly focus, or should we be open to change?
- Is fail fast, pivot quickly a great strategy or plain stupid?
- Buy Startup Myths and Models by Rizwan Virk
- Check out bonus content at ZenEntrepreneur.com
Hertz Continues The Covid-19 blame-game
- Read the WSJ Piece: Hertz Was Already in Terrible Shape. The Pandemic Finished It Off
- TGI Friday’s is closing 20% of it’s stores according to Bloomberg
Should we bail out retail? Absolutely not.
- Read the piece in Quartz about bailing out retail
- Here’s the article about the massive Skilled Trades Labor shortage in Entrepreneur magazine
- Here’s the piece in Bloomberg about the truck driver shortage
Economic Masochism Is Dumb. Experts Predict Fast Recovery
- Here’s Dave Ramsey’s interview with Dr. Art Laffer on The Dave Ramsey Show
Do you miss the workplace? You’re not alone.
- Apparently people are missing the office according to The Wall Street Journal
How to Get More Press in 10 Days
If you’re an entrepreneur or tech exec, imagine what getting a major press hit would do for your company. Sign up for my newsletter and I’ll send you a free PDF guide to get more press in just 10 days, plus a lot of SEO and content resources. Enter your name and email, and it will arrive in the next 5 minutes.